Hotline is a free, 24-hour hotline for crisis counseling and advice on available resources: call 1-800-799- SAFE (7233) or text “START” to 1.800.799.SAFE (7233).
The purpose of the Hotline is emotional support and identification of the caller’s problems, the normalization of his or her psychological state. In addition, with the help of the Hotline, you can get advice on the further solution of identified problems, get answers to questions related to domestic violence, the provision of psychological, psychotherapeutic and psychiatric assistance to adults, children and teens.
Telephone assistance is free. The work with the population is carried out by professional specialists who have extensive experience in providing psychological assistance in crisis situations.
Other ways to get help
- Call the police on 911. Domestic violence is a crime. The police will help you get medical assistance, if necessary, and will transfer your case to the Victim Services Officer. ‘Employees of this department are trained tactful treatment of domestic violence victims.
- Go to the hospital. Hospital staff can document injuries and provide medical help. It will be easier for you to go to the doctor accompanied by another person. US hospitals also have assistance specialists to consult victims of domestic violence; these specialists are capable help you when visiting a hospital.
What else can you do to ensure your safety?
- Find out the phone numbers and addresses of social centers, public, religious and other organizations, specialists who could provide psychological, legal and medical assistance, and, if necessary, shelter;
- collect documents, money, as well as the most necessary things: clothes, medicines and hide them in an accessible but safe place – fpr example, in friends’ apartments;
- negotiate with reliable neighbors so that they call the police if they hear screams from the apartment;
- agree in advance with relatives, friends or acquaintances (preferably unknown to the aggressor) about providing shelter if necessary, hide and destroy all addresses that would help him in his search.